Are You Eatin, Sleepin, Dreamin with that One Thing On Your Mind??

"Success is my only mutha F**kin Option...Failures NOT!"

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

ME??..... OVERTRAINING???!!

As UNBELIEVABLE as it sounds to me, the more I'm looking into the "Signs of Overtraining" I think I might be over-doing it.

I am SOOOO exhausted, not only Physically but mentally lately that I cant even get my day-to-day activities done. WTH?? Been having "mini-breakdowns" for the last few days, then reading back on my blog-the exhaustion has actually been goin on for almost TEN DAYS. No wonder I feel like shit. Today was the 1st day in a LOONG LONG time that I TRULY questioned just WHY am I trying so hard to get into shape & get a hard-body. ..and if all this effort is even worth it. That kind of thinkin is just plain crazy becuz I KNOW its all worth it. I will NEVER go back to "That" Dana I was a couple years ago. I didnt even know who "SHE" was, but I hated her.

Anyways, tryin to get a handle on things, a few folks from MyBlends mentioned the classic signs of Overtraining & Ive been doin a lil research tonite. (In between naps & CRYING SPELLS)
Heres what I found:
SIGNS OF OVERTRAINING:**(and what Im seeing in myself)

1. DECREASED PERFORMANCE
Slower reaction times, reduced speeds and lowered endurance are all common signs of overtraining.
(**Even though I am hitting a new High Point on my HIIT run, my overall mile/avg time increased from 12:00 min/mile to 12:15 min/mile this past week)


2. AGITATION, MOODINESS, IRRATABILITY, OR LACK OF CONCENTRATION
Too much exercise and too little rest can wreak havoc on the hormones, cause mood swings and create an inability to concentrate.
(**Im like a walkin time bomb lately-just Im not sure if Im gunna cuss someone out, start laughing uncontrollably or burst into tears at any given moment. Even at work the tasks that normally take me an hour are taking about double that)

3. EXCESSIVE FATIGUE AND MALAISE
A body that never has a chance to recover from a previous workout will continue to feel more and more fatigued. Some people describe this as "heavy legs."
(**"Heavy Legs" is the PERFECT description. Tonight I took Gracie out and I swear it took EVERY last ounce of energy I had just to walk around the complex & back up the stairs. My whole body is DRAGGING. Even my HAIR is TIRED!)

4. INCREASED PERCEIVED EFFORT DURING NORMAL WORKOUTS
Overtraining takes its toll on the body, and workouts that were once a breeze can begin to feel like a grind.
(**Im used to "GLOWING" w/ energy during my workouts, but theres been twice in the past week that I have actaully CRIED in the middle of it instead. Takes everything to get thru my lifting-which I normally LOVE to do)

5. CHRONIC OR NAGGING MUSCLE ACHES OR JOINT PAIN
Overused muscles and joints can cause constant aches, which may go unnoticed until the body is given proper rest.

6. MORE FREQUENT ILLNESSES AND UPPER RESPIRATORY INFECTIONS
Too much exercise taxes all of the body's systems and makes it more difficult to ward off infections.
(**hmmm...could this be why Ive had a sore throat & cold for a week now?)

7. INSOMNIA OR RESTLESS SLEEP
During sleep the body has time to rest and repair itself. An overtrained body, however, is sometimes unable to slow down and completely relax, making it difficult to recover between workouts.
(**As tired as I am-I cant sleep for more than about 2 hrs at atime. My body just never "settles down" & hasnt for over a week now)

8. LOSS OF APPETITE
Overtraining can cause an increase in hormones such as epinephrine and norepinephrine that tend to inhibit appetite. The physical exhaustion and anxiety that often occur with overtraining can also have the same effect.
(**Really havent felt like eating for almost 2 weeks-except my "almost-binge" 2 days ago. Thats why Im loving the SYNTRAX NECTAR so very much-I am getting my protein & calories WITHOUT HAVING TO EAT)

9. CHRONICALLY ELEVATED HEART RATE AT REST AND DURING EXERCISE
A clear sign of an overworked heart muscle is a chronically elevated heart rate. Also, people who overtrain will often find that it takes longer for their heart rate to return to normal after a workout.

10. MENSTRUAL CYCLE DISTURBANCES IN WOMEN
Exercising excessively and not consuming enough calories may disrupt a woman's menstrual cycle. While some may experience irregular periods, other will stop menstruating altogether.
(**again-could be a coincidence, but Ive started my period THREE times in the past 3 weeks! WTF??!! I really doubt this is the reason though becuz I think this applies to chicks that have very LOW bodyfat %'s & mine is still way up there.)

5 Comments:

  • At 11:29 PM, Blogger Udenia said…

    Sweety, You need to take at least 3 days off or the whole weekend, just try and fit your "FREE DAY" when you have a normal CARDIO day, then eat lean on the weekend, but rest, grab a book, or some tunes! Trust me, you'll still lose weight! Your looking great! I can't wait to workout, I can feel myself gaining weight but I am forbidden to raise my bp right now, so girl, give your body some rest! Luv ya, Udenia

     
  • At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Girl!! I agree. Time for you to take a couple of days off!! You are over doing it way too much!! Take some time just for you, NOT working out!!

    Hugs~ LisaMichele

     
  • At 10:51 PM, Blogger Janel said…

    Did you fix #10??? The Chinese chirping smoke detector torture???? LMAO

     
  • At 5:05 AM, Blogger Colorado Kid said…

    Take a break, a short break can be good.... Just eat clean for the most part. Don't do what I did, Lori and I took a couple week break and I gained 11 pounds, not a good break... Let your body rest and then climb back on that pony!!!

    Casey

     
  • At 8:12 AM, Blogger Lori said…

    I did that on my third challenge. You need a break.

    Lori

     

Post a Comment

<< Home